Friday, August 7, 2015

TED 622 Assignment 1A

Introduction

Hello, my name is Phoebe Skelson and I currently teach 9th and 10th grade Math in the Central Valley of California. My husband and I have 3 daughters, and 2 dogs. I love to move around and enjoy the outdoors when I am hiking with my family, running with my dogs, or swimming laps. 

             Sophia, Me,  and Haley 

Cozette and I 

Apollo (apparent weight: 10 lbs. actual weight: 80 lbs.)

 Cozy, Mickey, Sophia, & Haley


Oh, For the Love of Teaching! 

 
I chose to be an educator on a whim. I drove by a school one day and said to myself "I want to be a teacher", so I went in and landed a job. Now that was14 years ago when it was a little simpler to become a teacher. I've decided to continue my career as a teacher because I love the feeling of helping that light bulb turn on in a student when they finally understand something. The relationships I develop with my students throughout the year also make all the extra hours planning and grading, standardized tests, and public school bureaucracy worthwhile. Every day is an adventure with my students that I look forward to. 

This is what I tell my students about Math:


Math is Love.  



 In Math language, that means MATH = LOVE. Math is the same as love. Math is congruent to love.

We need love in our lives like we need math.  In my class, we will share a love for math, no matter how big or small. At some point in time, a spark will fly in our brains and hearts for Math. It may be a concept grasped or the work we've accomplished. It might be a laugh.  It may not be every day or even every week, but at least once this year, we will feel it. 

That is love.

1 comment: